By Jenn Normore, CSP Red Deer Zone President (email@example.com)
Looking for an adventure that puts your patrol skills to work and helps support Canadian youth and amateur sport?
In February and March 2019, Red Deer, Alberta will host the 2019 Canada Winter Games. The event is expected to bring 20,000 visitors and 3,600 athletes, managers and coaches from across the country to the central Alberta city known for its mix of big-city amenities and small-town charm.
We are looking for Canadian Ski Patrol volunteers to assist at venues in and around Red Deer at Canyon Ski Resort (alpine) and River Bend Golf & Recreational Area (Nordic).
- Canyon Ski Resort is Alberta’s largest non-mountain family ski area, with 70 acres of skiable terrain, 18 runs and six lifts. It has had major upgrades in the last few years, including the construction of a fantastic new mogul pitch to prepare for the games.
- The River Bend Golf & Recreation Area is the premier cross country ski venue in Red Deer and central Alberta. Upgrades are currently underway at River Bend to enhance portions of the existing 14.5 kilometers of cross-country trails, develop a stadium area and renovate the biathlon range in advance of the 2019 games.
If you are interested, here are a few things you should know. Patrollers must:
- be registered with the Canadian Ski Patrol,
- be available for a minimum of three shifts, and
- pass a security screening as per policy of the Games Host Society.
Here is some additional key information:
- Canyon Ski Resort hosts the aerials, moguls, slope, big air, snowboard cross, snowboard, slopestyle, parallel giant slalom, and ski cross.
- River Bend Golf & Recreation Area will host the biathlon and cross-country events.
- There is food service provided during shifts at the venues.
- Billeting may be available, however is not guaranteed.
- Some games events, including alpine skiing, para alpine skiing, freestyle halfpipe and snowboard halfpipe will occur outside of Red Deer and will not require Canadian Ski Patrol volunteers through the CSP Red Deer Zone.
Red Deer is a city that prides itself on hard work, community and being true to its roots. The city is located on the Red Deer River in the heart of central Alberta, almost equidistant between Calgary and Edmonton. It has something for everyone, with a growing arts scene, plenty of outdoor activities and a revitalized downtown core.
CSP members have been at the heart of first aid support for the Canada Winter Games for many years, with sizable contingents at each of 2007 (Whitehorse), 2011 (Halifax/Wentworth/Martock) and 2015 (Prince George.). Anyone involved in those efforts will tell you it was a terrific experience.
If you are interested in volunteering with Canadian Ski Patrol for the 2019 Canada Winter Games, please contact Bob Boudreau (firstname.lastname@example.org) for alpine events or Donna Durham (email@example.com) for Nordic events. You can also contact CSP Red Deer Zone President Jenn Normore at firstname.lastname@example.org.