By Jenn Normore, CSP Red Deer Zone President (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The CSP Red Deer Zone really, really needs your help to support the 2019 Canada Winter Games, which take place in the central Alberta city, February 15 to March 3, 2019.
The organizers need CSP volunteers to assist at venues in and around Red Deer at Canyon Ski Resort (alpine) and River Bend Golf & Recreational Area (Nordic). Event coverage will range from aerials, moguls and slope style, to big air, boarder cross, slalom and ski cross.
These Winter Games are expected to attract 20,000 visitors and 3,600 athletes, managers and coaches from across the country to this central Alberta city – known for its mix of big-city amenities and small-town charm.
If you are interested, here are a few things you should know:
- Patrollers must be registered with the Canadian Ski Patrol.
- Canyon Ski Resort will host the aerials, moguls, slope, big air, snowboard cross, snowboard, slopestyle, parallel giant slalom, and ski cross.
- River Bend Golf & Recreation Area will host the biathlon and cross-country events.
- There is food service provided during shifts at the venues.
- Billeting may be available, however, is not guaranteed.
- Some events, including alpine skiing, para-alpine skiing, freestyle halfpipe and snowboard halfpipe will occur outside of Red Deer and will not require Canadian Ski Patrol volunteers through the CSP Red Deer Zone.
CSP members have been at the heart of first aid support for the Canada Winter Games for many years, with sizable contingents at each of 2007 (Whitehorse), 2011 (Halifax/Wentworth/Martock) and 2015 (Prince George, B.C.). Anyone involved in those efforts will tell you it was a terrific experience.
If you are interested in volunteering with Canadian Ski Patrol for the 2019 Canada Winter Games, please contact Bob Boudreau (email@example.com) for alpine events or Donna Durham (firstname.lastname@example.org) for Nordic events. You can also contact CSP Red Deer Zone President Jenn Normore at email@example.com.