Andrew (Andy) joined the CSP in 1991, shortly after emigrating from England to take a systems engineering job with what was then Computing Devices Canada (now General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada) in Ottawa. His interest in the CSP was sparked after talking to patrollers on the lifts at various ski hills in the CSP Gatineau Zone and thinking “I could do that.” He initially patrolled at Mont Ste. Marie and quickly became interested in becoming a member of the education team (this was pre-Instructor Certification Program or ICP). His job transferred to Calgary in 1993 where he joined the Nakiska patrol and he has been there ever since. Andy recently retired from full-time employment with GDMS-Canada after 36 years and is looking forward to now being able to ski during the week as well as patrolling on the weekend.
Andy was initially content to be a patroller, but after returning from a two-year sabbatical due to a job posting in Wales in 2004 he re-joined the CSP and became an ICP-certified assistant instructor (AI) in 2005, followed by instructor (I) in 2006 and instructor trainer (IT) in 2012. He also decided to take on more leadership roles within the CSP. Over the years this has included:
- Nakiska assistant patrol leader for training (2009-2011)
- Wrote the Nakiska Patroller’s Manual to reflect area patrol procedures, area medical protocols, equipment and terrain (2010), with a major update in 2017.
- CSP Calgary Zone training manager (2011-2017)
- Assisted in the scripting and recording of the advanced first aid (AFA) eLearning course and piloting the course in the CSP Calgary Zone (2014).
- CSP Mountain Division advanced first aid coordinator (2015-16)
- Introduced rotating division-level ICP courses with the aim of increasing the number of AIs, Is and ITs available in CSP Mountain Division, especially in smaller zones.
- CSP Mountain Division training manager (2016-2018)
- Introduced First Aid and On-Snow Training Seminar days (FAST) to the CSP Mountain Division first aid competition weekend (2017).
- Piloted the eInstructor course at CSP Mountain Division ICP courses (2017).
- Piloted the eOn-Patrol course in the CSP Calgary Zone (2017).
- Wrote the quality management plan (QMP) for CSP Mountain Division AFA training in support of renewing Alberta Occupational Health and Safety approval to provide workplace first aid training.
- National director of training (2018-2021)
- Wrote the national QMP for CSP AFA training, in accordance with the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Z1210-17 workplace first aid training standard.
- Participated in the CSP COVID-19 task force to define the guidelines for patrolling and training in a pandemic environment.
- Nation training and development portfolio leader (2021-present)
- Working on modernizing the training and development system.
Andy has received numerous awards at the patrol, zone, division and national levels during his 30-plus years of service, including CSP Calgary Zone and CSP Mountain Division life memberships, National Appreciation Award No. 1630 and Canadian Ski Patroller Award No. 919.